Been working on this guy for the past couple of weeks and here’s the progress so far. Tweaked anatomy a bit, added the cape, redid the kilt, added accessories…Pretty much done with the high poly at the moment, should tweak some stuff here and there, maybe add a thing or two, but then it’s retopology time.
Started modeling this character based on awesome concept art by Eduardo Tanka (@bonzogalactico). I plan on finishing the high poly sculpture soon so I can retopologize, get some textures and animations and get this dude into Unity. Don’t know how I’ll handle the cape though. Thought about using Unity’s Interactive Cloth since I wouldn’t have to animate it by hand and would get a nice dynamic movement.
Another quick study, trying to get a little more detail with wrinkles and stuff. Somewhat inspired (not to mention intimidated) by Tom Parker’s speed sculpt videos. It started really cartoony as it was based on a doodle I did at work but I couldn’t get the proportions right, the style didn’t translate from 2D to 3D as well as I thought it would. I made it a bit more realistic and it was stuck halfway through.
I used some idle time at work to start this and finished at home. It was basically a test to see what I could come up with a basemesh that’s basic enough that I can still practice the main proportions but wouldn’t stretch out on key areas like a sphere does. I started this with what was basically a cube with a few subdivisions and some extrusions for the nose and ears, and an inside extrusion for the mouth. Obviously it worked MUCH better than a sphere. Next time I’ll extrude a neck as well, I’m tired of these floating heads. I should also try something other than old grumpy cartoony males for a change…